Monday, January 14, 2013

A pinch here, a dash there, a side dish full of pride

When I cook often times it looks like this:  A pinch of salt, a dash of herbs, a small handful of sugar.


Most of the time it comes out tasting fantastic...But it doesn't always work out that way.  In fact I find usually it's the recipes I've made a million times that get me into trouble.  I find myself adding this and that without stopping to evaluate what it really tastes like.  When I finally do stop for a taste test these are the times I realize I may have to change plans about what's on the menu that night.

I've come to realize recently that my life had become a bit like this.  I found a job and I was making better tips then I thought I would.  So when four beds became occupied in our home I was sure God would increase my tips to help feed them.  I wasn't worried in the least bit.  That first shift that I came home with just a few bucks after working five hours I thought it was a fluke.  Then one shift turned into a whole week of shifts.  As I said thank you each time I picked money off the tables I began wondering why it was that I was getting tipped so little, didn't God know that this was going to help feed those I just welcomed into my home?  Finally I went into work to find my pre-closer who arrive only and hour before me had at least five tables during that hour, more then I would have the entire night.  Two weeks in I stopped to evaluate.  It took less then 24 hours for me to realize I had made myself up a dish of pride, forgetting who really knew best.  After asking forgiveness of my prideful heart I walked into the restaurant not hoping for anything, ready to say thank You no matter what.  God saw that I had learned another bit of letting go of self and holding onto Him, so He gave.  I left that night having had a great night in tips.
 
For whom He loves He reproves, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights.
~ Proverbs 3:12
 
~ Being loved enough to be reproved by the Maker of all things.
~ Other's willing to give to help sleep our new guest.-sheets, bed frames, tables, lamps, pillows, blankets, mattresses.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment