Saturday, July 5, 2014

When life is altered.

I should have been working but a was called out, a thing that rarely happens.  Instead I used that time to go clothes shopping for some much needed pants, I put off because really I hate it and so do the boys.  As I walked into the changing room my phone alerted me to a text and then it rang.  My sister and her 3 year old were on there way to the hospital, but not the local hospital the largest in Maine.  They were on there way to the pediatrics ICU.  The ambulance that carried them had two doctors ready to save little girl's life if it came to that.  I rushed home, packed a quick bag, and began my journey down.  What I saw when I got there made my gut twist and my eyes water.


Little girl was lethargic, whimpering for water that she couldn't have until at least the next morning.  She had wires covering her.  Her arm in a splint because the IV was so big and her arm too small they feared she might break it.  The IV in her hand stuck out over her knuckles half an inch.  She was too small to be in that bed.  I had to stay focused, she was alive.


And that's the key isn't it?  In all of life but even more so when the daily routine is shattered, stay focused.


Dearest Sister and Brother in law,

Stay focused.  This pain, these tears will be less and less until it is the new norm.  She will run and play without thought to those "pokes".  She will grow, love, have responsibilities, be a Momma, a wife, a friend, all of these things because you kept your focus.  Because you kept your eyes on the big picture; you stayed focused and fought for her life.

That's what Job did: Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there.  The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.  Blessed be the name of the LORD.
That's what Jesus did:  My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done.
That's what Paul did:  I press on towards the goal for the prize for the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

People looked and stared.
People talked behind there back.
People told them they did it wrong.
People gave up on them.

But they stayed focused on the end game.


Don't give up hope, don't lose heart.  When she says, "please no poke me. No like pokes." tell her, tell yourself that this gives her life.

Decorating her hospital room with paper flowers.

I love you both.  Keep on keepin' on.

P.S.  Tell little girl Auntie loves her.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Shandy... prayers for "little girl" and family. How blessed to have you to comfort them.

    ReplyDelete