Thursday, March 8, 2012

Give me a moment while I hyperventilate...

My son will soon be four.  In just weeks.  That means if I would like too I can enter him into preschool!  But weren't you planning on homeschooling you ask?  Why yes I was.  Last year while sweet little Laughter took a morning nap Man of the woods and I cuddled up and did a great little reading program from Sonlight curriculum.  It was a fantastic year.  This year I tried a few different ways to teach both boys together and well lets just say... Epic. Fail.


So after much talking with Strong man and some talking with Man of the woods we've decided to begin preschool hunting.  Who knows maybe we won't do anything next year, but we can at least be looking. 


We want something that will fit our schedule.  Fridays are our days.  We share them with nothing.  It's our one day a week to simply be a family. So doing school on Friday is out, which means most schools are out as well. 


I also refuse to do a five day a week program.  He's four.  I want him to be with me as long as we can have him.  I understand that life will happen and no matter how much I hold onto him; he will grow into a man.  But I also understand this boy needs stimulation.  He needs to be challenged.  Between my sickness and his brothers way of blowing through life with ALL of his being Man of the woods just isn't getting what I think he needs.  So we search both for schools and for the Lords will in this small boys life. 


Maybe next year preschool out of the house and kindergarten as a homeschooler.  We'll take it year by year and need by need.  He's great at book learning so who knows maybe he'll always go out into the world for school where as Laughter is a hands on kind of guy and I honestly don't think he's going to do well with traditional schooling.  Time will tell and so will the Holy Spirit. 
I do know that no matter where we send him to school it is still our goal to live out Deuteronomy 6.  It's very doable to even if he goes out for schooling.

Hear, O Israel!  the LORD is our God, the LORD is one!  You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 
~ Deuteronomy 6:4-7

1834.  An intelligent boy.
1835.  A boy no longer a toddler.
1836.  A boy with great questions.
1837.  Man of the woods with a deep hunger to learn.
1838.  A social son.
1839.  A gift wrapped with everything I asked for in my first born child.

No comments:

Post a Comment