Monday, December 12, 2011

The second greatest

A few weeks ago our Shepherd shared some really heavy things one Sunday morning which led to a deep conversation in our Sunday school class.  I think that it was good.  As a class we realized that one of the issues our church has is that we forget about relationships. 

(Just a side note...Churches are made up of people.  People are sinners.  Sinners are messy.  Therefore churches are messy.  Mine is no different.  You will find yours isn't either.)

Okay back to the topic at hand, relationships.  If relationships aren't the goal in ministry then your not really ministering.  This is a pretty new concept for me.  I am an organizer at heart.  My mind runs in lists and systems.  In fact when I was over seas that was my job.  I was asked to take chaos and turn it into a functioning system.  So I did and I loved every minute of it.  Adored it.  The kicker here is one year I had an intern working as my assistant.  She was amazing and we spent lots of time together.  It came time for her to leave.  All of her friends threw a going away party for her.  You know what I did?  I kept on organizing, not for her party but for my work.  I worked right through her party until about 10 o'clock at night.  The next morning I was too busy to take her to the airport so a quick hug and a wave goodbye sufficed.

My goal was the department I was creating, not the relationships that could be built through it's creation. 

...The second is like it, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.  On these two commandment depend the whole Law and Prophets.
~ Matthew 22:39-40

1338. Hard conversations with the same goal.
1339.  Women at all stages of the walk.
1340.  Good outcomes.


No comments:

Post a Comment