Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ellie this one's for you!

Okay, some will say I'm old and some will say I'm young.  Ten years ago I mourned the thought of this year.  I swore that at 28 life was over.  I said by this point I'll be married with children and my body would begin to fall apart.  Therefore as I would be tide down by these three things life would be over.  Today celebrates not my birth, but the completion of high school.  I know I'm a baby, right?

I graduated in a whopping class of 2.  It looked great on college applications as I was second in my class, and nobody in there right mind would think that meant I was last in my class!  I may have been last but I was the oldest in the entire school! Ha!

My classmate and I are states apart today and I don't think we've seen each other since my oldest was a months old.  After I put the hoolies to bed I dragged out the old year book to see how God has grown me and to find the underlying currents that my heart beats too.  As I read the letter I wrote for the year book I started with this: "Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep." (Carl Sandburg)  How true this is!  without God I would have never made it to this point in my life.  Thank you, Lord, for ALWAYS being with me through thick and thin. "Blessed be the name of the Lord forever and ever!" (Psalm 113:2)  I went on to fill an entire page of thank you's, jokes, and happy memories from my teen years, but concluded with this:  Continue following God.  He will always be there for you even when nobody else is, Isaiah 41:10 & 13.--As I reflected over this book and those years it's refreshing to see that God is the current of my heart both then and now.  Those four years were hard years, but He never let go of me.

I wish I could post some of the pictures from that year, but here's an idea of what I was like my senior year...

~ I was president of Student council.--During our spirit week each day had a theme.  Because of a snow day we ended up with two themes on this particular day.  Theme one, wacky hair day.  Theme two, dress in your favorite color.  So that day I had sections of my hair in a dozen different ways from pony tails to braids.  Then to add to that chaos I was dressed in purple (not my favorite color of the time, but what I had the most of).  From purple shoes to purple lipstick I was covered in the color.  In between classes I went for a job interview just as I was and some how got the job...By the way, black was my favorite color.

~ It was the running joke that I would marry one of the Jr's. (For those who knew me back then-the one that was wearing a cast in the school photos in 2002.  Anybody know what he's up too these days?).

~ My fellow graduate, Ellie, was the head of the school yearbook.  When the crunch came her and I would stay at school until midnight many nights to get things done.  One night we were totally freaked out by her dad who was also a little freaked that something might have happened to us.

~  Ellie's parents were away for a few days and the two of us had a huge Spanish project to get done so our parents both agreed I could stay with her while they were gone.  It was February and we had gotten home from a game around 9 pm and we somehow got her parents van stuck in her driveway so in our dresses we were pushing the car out of the snowbank.  I have no idea why we didn't go change first.

~ The day before graduation we went to Portland together.  On our way home we somehow ended up on 95 south.  I think it took us like six hours to get home.  It should have been an hours drive at most.  To our credit we got the Starbucks (the only store in Maine at the time.)

~ That year as we studied The Book of Common Prayer the two of us were married.  That is the only time I have fed my groom cake...Something about marriage that year.

~ Any event in which whipped cream was involved I was always covered, and some how there were a lot of such events.  I recommend checking your water bottle for shaving cream before every game.

~ A prankster I was, but not always a nice one.  I got our 11th/12th grade class to cough every time one of our teachers said a certain word.  Everyday a new joke on her until she brought in the principal to straighten us out.  (I'm not sure she knew it was me, but she does now.  I'm sorry Mrs. Andrews, if I could go back I wouldn't have done it!!)

~ We used our Sr. class trip to go give an inner city school in New Jersey there first ever carnival and to help with the yearly SAT's

~ The saying of the year was, "I've got in my back pocket with my needle and thread"...I have no idea where that came from.

So there's my senior year high lights.  Ellie my dear friend, I hope these last ten years have been good to you and I pray the next ten will be even better.  Remember God is ALWAYS with you.

Two are better than one because they have a better return for their labor.  For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion.
~ Ecclesiastes 4:9-10a

No comments:

Post a Comment