Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Living Life--Age Appropriate

My three year old and I had a late night conversation about the size of the Moon last week.  Last night he was telling his Daddy how big the moon really was.  I had no idea he was truly awake for that conversation!  He's much smarter then I give him credit for.  Scripture tells us as parents to use life to teach our children.  That's why we've decided that we'll talk about anything with our kids.  At two I took my tender spirited son to my sisters grave.  He began to process and understand death.  Words such as, sin, respect, disobedience, responsibility, consequences, free will are all included in our boys vocabulary.  Even my one year old understands most of these words.

So as I struggle with my depression I talk with the boys about why Mommy is sad or having a hard day.  This week the topic has come up again as I'm trying a new medication.  We talk about how my body forgets to allow me to be happy.  We also talk about how just because Mommy's feeling badly I still have a responsibility to show respect and love to other people.  We as a family need to work through this.  The boys watch me as I go through my highs and my lows and we talk about it.

Our goal in living life with our boys is for them to learn to work things out on there own and to understand that hard situations are just apart of life there is no way to get away from them, but we can control how we deal with them.  Once again most of all we want the boys to watch God lead us, and protect us as He always does.

Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; for the LORD GOD is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation."  Therefore you will joyously draw water from the springs of salvation. 
~ Isaiah 12:2-3


486.  Late night talks with my three year old.
487.  Moon reflects the sun like a mirror.
488.  Being "followed" by the moon.
534.  Man of the woods asking if I will be his Mommy forever.
535.  Drawing chalk on the driveway.
537.  The information a three year old mind retains.
538.  A husband to admire.
539.  A God to find my place in.
540.  A God who says no to my requests.
546.  A God who knows what I need before I do.
550.  A God who always keeps His promises.

1 comment:

  1. Hey wife, I am glad you put this post back up. You really do a great job at not letting the way you feel change your character or the way you behave. I am so blessed to be married to you!

    ReplyDelete